Chewing gum is a type of gum with a sweet taste that is for chewing. The Maya used to chew the rubber resin produced by the sapodilla tree that grew in the Mexican province of Yucatan. The invention of modern chewing gum is attributed to Thomas Adams in 1871, which tested the raw material he prepared for toys made from the same wood resin. Nowadays chewing gum is produced from petroleum based products containing extracts of various sweet tastes nowadays sugar free with substitutes such as xylitol. Chewing gum releases flavors and due to increased chewing action stimulates the salivary gland by increasing the excretion of saliva in the mouth, thus improving the body’s ability to fight bacteria and prevent tooth decay
The effect of chewing gum on health
1) chewing gum increases memory capacity and concentration. Due to increased blood flow to the brain.
2) studies found that children suffered 40% fewer ear infections due to chewing gum with xylitol chewing five times a day that is probably due to the decrease of bacteria in the throat and larynx area, thanks to increased secretion of saliva. And the effect of xylitol that interferes with bacteria to multiply.
4) Due to increased secretion of saliva that raises acid pH, after food, bacteria cannot proliferate. Saliva contains materials that balance and stabilize PH at the normal level.
5) Chewing works as physiotherapy for people who have difficulty opening their mouth.
6) People who suffer from dry mouth chewing gum promotes secretion of saliva and reduces dryness.
7) Chewing gum will result in a decrease in bad breath due to increased secretion of saliva
There are also disadvantages, excessive gum chewing will cause excessive activity on muscles and joints. The total chewing time during meals currently represents approximately 20 to 30 minutes a day, therefore, any activity similar to above these times can cause enormous damage when chewing gum. Chewing increases the secretion of gastric juices that work in an empty space, and can cause symptoms of swelling in the abdomen and gas, so it is advisable to chew after meals.
It is recommended to chew gum after a meal for no more than 5 minutes at a time or cumulatively for no more than 30 minutes all day to avoid damage to the masticatory system.
The ingestion of gum will not cause damage, the body does not digest the gum, it will not stick but it will take time to remove it from the body.
Sweets and candies. Already in ancient Egypt, Greece and Rome, the sweets were made of honey. As we know it today, they also contain food colorings. All sugars are harmful to the teeth and increase the activity of bacteria. It is advisable not to buy and not to accustom children to eat them.
if you buy it is recommended that you buy those that do not contain sugar that contains xylitol which is a substitute for sugar that is also present in the chewing gum (Orbit). Do not chew the hard candy just suck them, and those who have citrus tastes encourage the secretion of saliva and are most recommended for people suffering from dry mouth or halitosis. And of course, everything without overdoing it, is not a recommended product at all.